Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hans and his Data

Hans looks like he had a good economic backing for his computer generated study. Top of the line resources, etc. He was quite impressive with his diagram of social change before economic change. This was then repeated towards the end when he focused on improved health in a country increased child survival before improved wealth (economic status) and showed the example of South Korea vs. Brazil.
This database lesson is a bit confusing. I understand Hans and his data, I guess I don't understand how the linking of data with gapminder improves the world data, or is it the quality of world data? Hans was discussing publicly funded data available via the web and I'm not sure how the use of another database to link the data improves things. Is it about how we use the data to show us the things we question? Well, he gets an A++ for effort and presentation. Lots of things to keep the audience locked in and paying attention. Makes me wish I had a SmartBoard to teach.
Melissa S 10/29/09

No comments:

Post a Comment